Friday, December 23, 2011

A reflection on poetry


A reflection on poetry


Rather than writing a poem today, I thought I would reflect on poetry and why people like to write it and why people like to read it.

First, it is a great way to make a message easy to understand and in a form that is suited to be impressed in ones memory. Before the time of printing, people e used it to teach people a message they would remember forever. This is really the goal of any story teller.

Second, poetry allows a great ability to show deep emotions more than any other form. It is like given the ability to let go. To tell a feeling much easier than in a real life or novel type story.

Third and last in this reflection is the ability to use new words forced on the poet to make the story rhyme. I have often heard that many professional novelists will read poetry to gain a richer vocabulary. I agree, it allows a special relaxation while building words that can be used later.

To make a point I remember one simple poem I learned in college and think of every time I go to a public rest room. It is also good to post at home if you have teen age boys. I would give credit to the poet if I knew who wrote it, but I don’t.


If you sprinkle
When you tinkle
Please be neat
And clean the seat


Johnny Ray

No comments:

Post a Comment